Course Code: 023
Today's project managers and teams must deliver under increasing pressure. Organizing scarce resources, managing tight deadlines, controlling change throughout projects and generating maximum team performance are key aspects of effective project management.
Today's project managers and teams must deliver under increasing pressure. Organizing scarce resources, managing tight deadlines, controlling change throughout projects and generating maximum team performance are key aspects of effective project management. This course will teach participants to:
- Produce a project plan for successful delivery .
- Plan and run projects using best practices in a 6-step project management process .
- Implement risk management techniques and mitigation strategies .
- Estimate and schedule task work and duration with confidence .
- Implement monitoring tools and controls to keep you fully in command of the project .
- Recognize and practice the leadership skills needed to run a motivated team .
Who Should Attend
This course is valuable for professionals who want to plan, manage and deliver successful projects. Those new to project management as well as those interested in improving their current project management skills would benefit from this course.
- Managing the project processes.
- Creating high-confidence plans.
- Identifying the project life cycle stages.
- Working with the challenges of project management.
- Selecting and applying best practices.
- Identifying stages of team development.
- Building and managing team effectiveness.
- Defining clear project objectives.
- Determining and clarifying the goals.
- Defining key project deliverables.
- Running the objective-setting meeting.
- Defining the project workload.
- Determining project scope with work breakdown structures (WBS).
- Driving the plan down to task level.
- Three ways to make better estimates.
- Three-point estimating to refine accuracy.
- Managing the estimating process.
- Converting WBS to precedence networks.
- Determining the critical path.
- Calculating the project duration.
- Building Gantt charts.
- Using slack effectively in the schedule.
- Setting key milestones to track and control the project .
Launching your project
Core project leadership skills
Building a project charter
The 6-steps planning method
Building high-confidence estimates
Scheduling the project
Creating the project timeline
Developing a risk management process
- Identifying the project risks and assumptions .
- Evaluating risk impacts .
- Strategies for managing risks .
- Managing key risks .
- Reducing risks through contingency plans .
- Identifying and assigning resources to tasks .
- Analyzing resource use in the schedule .
- Optimizing the use of resources .
- Preparing and agreeing on task contracts .
- Establishing an effective control process .
- Establishing change control procedures .
- Setting the baseline schedule .
- Analyzing progress against the baseline .
- Correcting the project plan to achieve the objectives .
- Picking up warnings of trouble ahead .
- Tracking planned vs. actual task performance .
- Avoiding the 90-percent-complete trap .
- Communicating project status to stakeholders .
- Coping with common project scenarios.
- Building ownership, motivation and commitment across the team.
- Managing systematic project close down .
- The payoff of post-implementation review .
- Transferring project and personal lessons learned .
- Documenting project experience for process improvement .
- Ensuring project closure .